Grommets and grommet presses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grommets and grommet presses

Hi all, I've been using stainless steel grommets for t-tops since I started. I never did get a press, always say that I don't do enough of them, until I get started on one and hate to see all of the holes I have to pound a stainless steel grommet into with a hand held die.
    I bought a #1 grommet die set for my press-n-snap but it doesn't have what it takes to compress stainless grommets.
    As far as I can remember, I've never replaced a cover that had stainless, always nickel. Do you guys around saltwater use stainless or nickel grommets? Should I just switch to nickel?

Hey mate,
    Our system is a little different, our #4 eyelet = your #2 grommet.
    Do yourself a favour, get a good press, we have two in the shop and they are time and effort savers, bloody expensive though.

Comment

99% of what I do is with a press. No good place to swing a mallet on a customer boat. I'll post pic and a link to our favorite. We have 2, one is an eBay set, the other is grommet world. com or something.

HP

Comment

Thanks, I've been looking for a press but having trouble deciding on what to get.

Comment

Sorry, been crazy busy here. This is the type we have,

They just seem to set better, hold fast. I liked them over the eBay type, cheapo didn't always set have to rip them out...

HP

Comment

Originally posted by HolePoker View Post
            Sorry, been crazy busy here. This is the type we have,

They just seem to set better, hold fast. I liked them over the eBay type, cheapo didn't always set have to rip them out...

HP
            That's actually the one I've been looking at. Only reason I haven't bought it yet is I'm trying to figure out if there's stainless steel rolled rim spur grommets and a die set to self pierce. Would be so much easier that punching the hole then setting the grommet.

Comment

We use these to cut the cover before putting the eyelet it. Only use stainless steel.

http://www.stayputfasteners.com.au/p...tToolFlier.pdf

Comment

• Coversome
                Coversome commented
                Editing a comment
                Never seen those, I'll have to get some. Thanks!

Sailrite have them 😎

Comment

Originally posted by Coversome View Post

Would be so much easier that punching the hole then setting the grommet.
                I punch all my holes with the cutter die for the press. Self-pierce can go wrong with just 2 layers of sunbrella, and I hate digging them out.

HP

Comment

Working...
                X