42' Spencer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 42' Spencer

Well Ladies and Gents, I went and invested in the second part of my Plan B. While everyone was having a blast in Georgia, I was up in Beaufort NC checking out a fat bottomed girl Shes a 68 so none of that core rot. I had an inspector go along with me to make sure I wasn't throwing to much money away . He said shes still holding together from a hull stand point but she needed to be gone through from top to bottom.

Since I live in Texas I'll be working on her sails first during this summer (Piddle Time). Once things here progress and I can leave this place I will head up there full time.

I'll post more photos as I progress.

Attached Files

Nice!!! Cannot wait to see this rebuild.

Comment

My kind of boat, lovely.

Comment

very cool! what is your time frame to leave texas and head east?

Comment

Thanks Glen..... hopefully by the end of the year. With a 2 year timeline to get it back to where it needs to be. There is plenty of work to be done. It was pulled out by the owner 4 years ago for a refit. Due to the declining health of his parents, he just didn't have time or the money anymore.

When I go back in September my main concern will be pulling the main mast and fixing the mast step in that location. Right now its being supported by a jack post. After 40 years the laminate and plywood cross section that form the front bulkhead and the head have failed. Mostly because the builder moved the mast back 6 inches when they took it from a sloop to a ketch rig.

In the mean time I have been learning the art of making sails. Maybe Ill post a thread on it this summer. I've have learned that they are as easy or complex as you make them. Mostly determined by type of use.

Comment

Sail making, there is another trade in itself.
            Are you doing it the old fashioned way or computer aided?

Comment

Azz, no computer my friend. I'm going to add a temporary section of 12 feet to my table and loft it there.

I've been using Don Casey "This Old Boat". The last chapter is on sail making and what he did over the years.

Comment

You might see if a loft will run there designing software for you and cut the pieces on a table. What was the loft in FL that mfa visited a couple years ago? It might cost you a little more but all the broad seems will be calculated.

tap and sew off you go....

Comment

Isn't that part of the fun though? I'll figure it out.

Comment

• CCT
                  CCT commented
                  Editing a comment
                  love the thought but I guess I comes down to the sail plan you want. It fine to make a sail. Having a slow sail is not fun but again you can go to basic sail making nut when you spend as much as you will on cloth it might be worth it. 1 knot over 1000 miles I'm sure equals a few days.

• lakedrifter
                  lakedrifter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for the advice. This one came with the original drawing for the sail plan. I'm hoping I can figure out the math.

Looks like a wortht project. Seems inwork on my boats more then ise them thwn insell andnget anothwr projext

im trying ing real hard just to enjoy what i got
                Last edited by bayviewcanvas; 03-09-2018, 10:39 PM.

Comment

• lakedrifter
                  lakedrifter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm like you Mike... I can't sit still much. I always have to be tinkering.

Well insoldnansngot a new boatbsomthing diffwrent andnatarted thenprocess all over again

Comment

I don't doubt you did Mike. Something to keep you busy when its slow!

Comment

Have you any pics of the sails yet?

HP

Comment

No, we haven't started yet. Spring is here so were working on a couple of upholstery jobs at the moment.

Comment

Would love to see the process.

HP

Comment

Working...
                        X