Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bikini pocket allowance

Hey all Thanks for the add

I have a 3 bow bimini I am redoing and I'm confused on how to figure out what to allow at the ends of the fore and aft bows for the curve and change of direction.

I have watched the Sailrite videos and they show 2 different ways neither of which I fully understand.

Anyone care to share a technique that has worked for them?

Thanks in advance

Shooting video now on bimini building from the deck mounts up.

-Pole bending with the Bendarc, rolling the crown with the Crownarc, and the math to make it come out right.
    -Hardware and frame assembly.
    -Install and leveling the frame
    -Marking the canvas
    -Fabricating the top. (with zippers)

I'll be cutting clips together and posting to my YT channel in the next few days.

HolePoker

Comment

Thanks Hole Poker!
      That was quick!

Subscribed to your channel and looking forward to checking out your work!

Comment

First half is done and posted. Bimini Fabrication - Frame & Hardware.

HP

Comment

hold... he asked for bikini pocket allowance !

Comment

• Azz
            Azz commented
            Editing a comment
            Im pretty good with this stuff.......

You do understand, that if working from center out. You do not need to feel where bend ends, and measure to cutoff. Those numbers are already calculated.

Comment

Nope, I'm new to this stuff and making it up as I go. (Azz helps a lot )

Is it faster to find the bottom of the bend and measure down, or hassle with the tape from center, 100+" around a crown and a corner?
            I tried it your way... it slows me down. Although I get paid by the hour, I get cash bonuses for getting jobs done on target or sooner.

Even though my way is wrong (I didn't know), in the end I'm building frames faster. In about an hour, I can have a frame from flat stock, to canvas ready on the boat. Saturday's took 3 hours for messing with the camera and what not. I am posting to my YT channel for another group I'm in. Not everyone will take something useful away from watching my videos. Not too many professionals willing to post trade secrets, methods, short cuts and publish how to videos. ( I looked!) You know how I learned to bend $70 Stainless poles? By reading the 4 pages of math, and mucking up a few poles. I learned to make covers by walking the dock and looking at covers and where they fail so mine don't fail there. Other than sailrite, there's not a ton of folks sharing HowTo on screen and canvas, or safari trucks. I've picked up 20 new subs since I started posting sewing videos. Feel free to steal my subscribers.
            Videos take extra time to shoot (no bonus on this job), hours to edit , and within hours of publish... will get a thumbs down with no views. WTF?

Yes, Pockets.

Finished the canvas portion of the video, needs editing. I'll need to cut in voice-over. It's hard to record in the shop during the week. The vacuum pump biz has been busier than the upholstery biz for months. Nice guys those pump mechanics, but they make hella lotta noise, and they drink my soda pop.

I've loaded them in for processing, I'll do some edit tomorrow to show how I do pockets.

I wanna see how Azz does them.

HP

Comment

Currently free to use, will eventually be a subscription. https://go.ezframeplus.com/

Comment

Re: Frame bending, I use the software that Eric has posted link to. Easy to use, spot on every time.
                I also have the maths written down should the inter web not be available to use. Basically I start in the centre and work out.

BUT, I can start at one end and work along, I hate doing it like that, my mind does not work that way.

Bending is about finding the best way that works for you and your shop and doing it that way. As the saying goes, there is more than one way to skin a cat

Christmas / Summer rush on at the moment, so don't hold your breath for a pocket video....... I have to get a presentation for MFA organised first.

Comment

Pocket allowance, sew your outside seam, fold pocket over flat put a line under the pocket saw 1/2" in. Sew pocket down to line, if you start in the middle & work outwards it falls into place or stick the whole pocket down first then sew from one end. I only do this for mid pockets. Either end needs the tension, for me 😁
                  Last edited by SuziQ; 10-03-2018, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gcombe View Post
                    hold... he asked for bikini pocket allowance !
                    I just caught that. Stupid auto correct.
                    Last edited by Miket; 10-03-2018, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SuziQ View Post
                      Pocket allowance, sew your outside seam, fold pocket over flat put a line under the pocket saw 1/2" in. Sew pocket down to line, if you start in the middle & work outwards it falls into place or stick the whole pocket down first then sew from one end. I only do this for mid pockets. Either end needs the tension, for me 😁
                      Thanks!

Comment

Glad others chimed in to help.
                        I've fallen out of the sharing mode, put the camera away for a while.
                        I don't want to be like CNN spreading fake news. We'll leave it to those that know everything to assist the new users with methods.

HP

Comment

What'd I miss?

Comment

Nothing, all quiet here.

Comment

Working...
                            X