Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• joining or butting binding

Howdy.

I ordered 50' of binding but my supplier sent it in three pieces. I have decided to use it. What are your suggestions for joining or butting the binding ends?

Thanks,
    Shelly

Advance to 1:30:20 of this video. She has a great technique.

HP

Comment

Thank you HolePoker. But this is welting. I'm looking for suggestions for joining or butting binding. I want to bind the reinforced edge of a boat cover. My binding order came in pieces, grrrrrr. I'm looking for a professional way to make the pieces appear continuous. Sailrite does show a way to overlap the start and finish ends. They suggest trimming off the outside fold of the "start" to allow the finish end to ride over it better. It still leaves a hump. Any tips or tricks for minimizing the hump in overlapped binding? Thanks -Shelly

Comment

What sort of binding is it Shelly?

Comment

If you're using sunbrella binding, you can open the glued down edges to sew them she does. Spreading out overlap will be tough, but should look OK.

We moved away from webbing and binding boat covers. Here in the desert, summer sun turns webbing to dust and binding on the edge prevents complete removal of bird bombs. It actually seems to accelerate rot on covers that get washed often. We studied near every boat in the bay to see where canvas fails, so ours won't do that.

Our method may solve you're problem all together, if you haven't already started.

HolePoker

Comment

• Somers Cove Canvas
          Somers Cove Canvas commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! You're right about the webbing and binding becoming the weak points over time. Hemming the edges is certainly an alternative. Plus you've given me an idea about how to join the binding. I'm going to try gluing the opened ends, to mimic the way Sunbrella does it. I'll let you know if it works. -Shelly

I'd love to see pics of how it turned out. I may run into that someday.

HP

Comment

I try & avoid binding, for the same reasons, we have sahara red dust gets everything so mucky.
          These days if I really need to use it or it's being used as a contrast colour I make my own out of canvas.
          We don't have a supplier of ready made, which would be nice. It lasts as long as the cover & doesn't fade like the woven. I just over lap the the ends & sew over.
          If you need to join it, just go ahead as if making from scratch then trim down the back side opening up the join & iron flat.

I have never used glue, but double sided tape is great. Venture tape.

Suzi
          Last edited by SuziQ; 05-03-2018, 03:19 AM.

Comment

• Somers Cove Canvas
            Somers Cove Canvas commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks. I'm on the eastern shore of Maryland in the mid-Atlantic region of the US. Dust is not a problem here, although sun and rot are. Binding is pretty standard, at least as far as I have seen. I am working on the cover now, a small cover for a high-end kayak. For the binding I will probably resort to overlapping the ends. But if I come up with something better I'll post pictures. Shelly

Howdy. I worked out how to join two lengths of binding for a clean join. It is more work than most covers call for, but it looks nice for the right application.

Open the folds on both ends. Trim them from one end leaving a flange. Seal the edges with a hot knife or a flame. Overlap the ends and glue them together. Wrap the folds over the flange.

The join will go through the binder.

It was easy to join the pieces before binding. It was a little tricky to do it at the finish because I had to accurately estimate where the end would meet the beginning. I got an acceptable result but I probably won't make this a standard practice.

Shelly

Comment

Very neat Shelly, never thought of doing it that way.

Comment

Great suggestion. I will have to add it to my tips and tricks.

Comment

Working...
              X