Carpet binding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carpet binding

Binding Corinthian carpet with 1.25 " sailrite swing-away on the consew longarm, using sunbrella, a #24 needle and clear 8oz thread from our NC binder.
    We've struggled to find the best look with affordable fabrication times. The NC binder works great on straight runs and outside corners and only usession 7/8" binding. Inside corners had to be done on the longarm or hand stitched.

Ordered the Sailrite 1.25 binder to give me extra room away from the edge. Stiching with the grain or diagonal to it with 7/8 binding tends to perforate the rubber and will tear away. So far we're quite pleased with the look.

The other lesson learned as I tried to get the new binder to work as easy as it does on the Sailrite youtube video, sew this carpet pile down.
    I had all sorts of problems with tension and broken thread. Never could get all the stitches tight no matter how much tension you crank in. Flipped it over and all those issues went away.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180116_091622.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	207.1 KB
ID:	716
    Attached Files
    Last edited by HolePoker; 01-20-2018, 11:56 PM.

get me a close up of the binder.. .curious what it looks like....

Comment

I am telling you. consider some ptfe thread for that binding. that polyester wont hold up in your hot ass sun! your boss can charge a bit more to cover it. but in the end he will be building a better product.

Comment

• HolePoker
      HolePoker commented
      Editing a comment
      It is a clear ptfe thread from NC. Trying to use it up.

You tube killed my video because Hotel California is playing for 10 seconds.

Comment

Nice result HP, might have to try that binder. I have the standard 1" which works well on regular stuff but not done much in the carpet line.
      Last edited by SuziQ; 01-28-2018, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180125_130631.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	746
        Attached Files

Comment

Here is my theory as to why pile down with Corinthian carpet...

Pile up - as the needle pulls out of the rubber backing, the hole closes around the thread. If there is pile in the stitch too, the tension is more than my consew can pull. Broken threads and colorful language abound.

Pile down - the stitch is being pulled tight before the needle exits the backing. A slightly bigger needle half turn up on tension and SLOW around corners.

Comment

Originally posted by HolePoker View Post
            Click image for larger version  Name:	20180125_130631.jpg Views:	1 Size:	101.7 KB ID:	746
            Do any of you people in Australia know where I could get one of these in oz as buying from America the postage is around $60, takes a bit of the shine off of it.
            Last edited by crustt; 01-28-2018, 04:06 PM.

Comment

• HolePoker
              HolePoker commented
              Editing a comment
              I'll be sending a package to my mate in Campbelltown, NSW, are you near there?

HP

• Azz
              Azz commented
              Editing a comment
              Nah, Crusty is miles away from there.

Have you rang Elizabeth machine company in the city. Rick might have or can source for you.

• crustt
              crustt commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks HP

I will Azz, I've been meaning to have a bit of a stickybeak in there for a while now.

HP, do I understand correctly, you are using 7/8 width binding in a 1-1/4 binder?

Comment

• HolePoker
              HolePoker commented
              Editing a comment
              No, we moved away from the NC carpet binder because it uses only 7/8" binding.
              Inside corners still had to be done hand fed, and 7/8 leaves little room for errors.
              The 1- 1/4" sailrite has the same inside corner limitations, but the extra width makes a big difference.

HP

• HolePoker
              HolePoker commented
              Editing a comment
              This is the same NC machine we have. Works great on non-rubber backed carpets.
              https://youtu.be/9tPwEsOi4D8

More carpet binding.

HP

Comment

Working...
            X